2024 Commercial Placement Programme - Luton - 12 months
Luton, United Kingdom
* This is a 12-month placement which is based in Luton; to be eligible to apply you must be in your penultimate year of university.
* Starting salary for the role is £23,500 per annum with fantastic progression and incremental roll off salary (pay review pending).
* *Currently TUI is unable to provide visa sponsorship, you must have permanent right to live and work in the UK without sponsorship to be eligible to apply. This includes applicants in possession of a Tier 4 Student visa.
*** We have an under-representation of ethnic minority colleagues at TUI and therefore welcome applications from people who come from these groups
Want to get your career off to a flying start? The sky’s the limit with TUI. We’re the world’s number one tourism business, operating in around 180 destinations worldwide, which means limitless global opportunities for you and your future.
As part of our placement programme, you’ll spend one invaluable year working right at the heart of our business – with real responsibilities, and the chance to work on real projects. You’ll gain a unique insight into our exciting and dynamic industry, with exposure to many other functional areas and senior colleagues. You’ll have lots of fun during your time with us, and we’ll ensure you get the support you need every step of the way.
Our Commercial teams help design, develop, and deliver dream holidays for our customers, delivering growth and profitability through cleverly managing price, focusing on cost, and controlling the availability of our products. From liaising with hotel buyers, to forecasting travel trends, developing holiday brochures, and pricing holidays – it’s all in a day’s work in this area of our business, and you’ll be playing a key part in this exciting area!
We recruit on a rolling basis and therefore recommend that you apply as soon as possible to be in with the best chance.
ABOUT THE JOB
During your placement, you’ll spend 12 months in either the Trading, First Choice or Ancillaries teams. Throughout the recruitment process, you’ll be considered for all roles, and you’ll have the opportunity to indicate your preference if you have one – we will then consider this alongside your strengths to find the right role for you.
In all roles, you’ll gain a full insight into our Commercial function, supporting a portfolio of destinations and making key commercial decisions which will drive forward the strategy, profitability and success of TUI.
Trading (Beach or Cruise) – Have you ever wondered how the price of your package holiday or cruise is decided, why they sometimes change from the last time you looked or why the cost varies across different destinations or itineraries? The Trading role is the team behind this, and is all about spotting patterns and working with data to ensure a proactive approach to problem-solving and getting the best results for your destinations. In summary, these roles are all about:
- Ensuring our products are available to our customers at the right price, at the right time, in line with demand and competition
- Focus on either Cruise or Beach holidays, identifying the best way to sell our beds and aircraft seats to maximise profits
- Responsibility for a number of cruise ships or holiday destinations, enhancing both flight and cabin/hotel performance. You do this by reviewing and analysing sales trends, while manipulating our yield management system to make effective recommendations to deliver your trading strategy in line with market conditions – think stock market, but for holidays!
- You monitor and react to demand in the competitive holiday market, taking relevant pricing actions to maximise opportunities and overcome any barriers to sale
Ancillaries – The ancillaries team look after all the add-ons for our customers, aiming to generate incremental margin for the business whilst also enhancing our customers’ holidays with valued extras. With ambitious growth plans in place, Ancillaries is an exciting part of the business to work in.
- Responsibility for the performance of key ancillary products including seating upgrades, baggage, taxi transfers & accommodation extras.
- Support yielding activity to maximise profitability, drive conversion and manage sales channel performance, ensuring we sell the right ancillary product to the right customer at the right price. Your decisions will directly feed into the overall financial performance of TUI UK & Ireland.
- You will be using multiple reports to analyse trends and these will guide informed recommendations and decisions, to deliver results in line with the Ancillaries budget and three-year plan.
- Ensure that our distribution channels perform as per plan, you’ll regularly review & track performance of products against targets. You’ll spot trends and hold channels to account when performance dips below target, in line with insight on the local competitor landscape, products & pricing.
First Choice – Working in our First Choice part of the business, this exciting new team will be focusing on growing the First Choice brand in line with our long term plan. We have 2 roles within First Choice, an ancillaries role where you will be aiming to generate incremental margin for the business whilst also enhancing our customers’ holidays with valued extras, and we also have a commercial role. For our commercial role, you will:
- Contribute to the delivery of a bold new strategy for First Choice as part of a fun, dynamic and entrepreneurial team.
- Be responsible for analysing sales trends across a range of holiday products (hotels, flights, transfers, ancillaries, experiences) to optimise commercial performance in line with the First Choice strategy. You will balance commercial and customer considerations to ensure commercial performance is achieved in line with the First Choice brand values.
- You will monitor and report on competitor activity, analysing trends and identifying commercial opportunities for First Choice.
- You will build strong relationships with commercial, distribution and content stakeholders across TUI to overcome any barriers to sale and ensure commercial targets are met.
ABOUT YOU – for all role, we are looking for:
- Numerate and analytical
- Structured, focused and enthusiastic to learn
- Proactive, curious and conscientious
- Confident and able to work under pressure
- Seeks to understand others’ perspectives
- Hunger for learning, with a minimum of GCSE grade 4 or C (or equivalent) in English and Maths, and a commitment to completing a placement year (starting in 2024) as part of your third year at university
- Proficient user of the MS office suite
- And finally, it helps if you love holidays as we are all passionate about the full experience gain through travel that creates memories that last a lifetime
ABOUT OUR OFFER
- Fantastic holiday benefits including discounts, special offers and the ability to purchase additional ‘TUI time off’
- Health and Wellbeing support in five key areas – Financial, Health, Social, Community and Career
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange
- Pension scheme and life assurance.
- Be Rewarded Platform
- Buddies – every new placement gets a buddy from around the business
- Mentors – provide a mentor to all of our placements
- Contact with business directors – through welcome meetings and project presentations
- Blog and options for content creation – opportunity to be creative with content creation whilst on your placement
- All the employee networks
At TUI, we know people are as diverse as the destinations we send our customers to.We love to see your uniqueness shine through and inspire the future of travel. If you would like to read more about what Diversity & Inclusion means to us simply visit our Smile page Click here