2024 Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship
Luton, United Kingdom
United Kingdom | Luton | LU2 9ND | Hangar 61 Percival Way Bedfordshire
|Hours per week:
|Type of contract:
*Starting salary for the role is £17,274 with fantastic progression and incremental roll off salary.
* Currently TUI is unable to provide visa sponsorship, you must have permanent right to live and work in the UK without sponsorship to be eligible to apply. This includes applicants in possession of a Tier 4 Student visa.
***As part of our Diversity Equity and Inclusion policy we encourage applications from all sectors of the community***
Want to get your career off to a flying start? The sky’s the limit with TUI. We’re the world’s number one tourism business, operating in around 180 destinations worldwide, which means limitless global opportunities for you and your future.
As part of our Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship, you’ll spend four invaluable years working right at the heart of our business – with real responsibilities, and the chance to work on our actual aircraft. You’ll gain a unique insight into our exciting and dynamic industry, with exposure to many other functional areas and senior colleagues. You’ll have lots of fun during your time with us, and we’ll ensure you get the support you need every step of the way.
With over 130 aircraft in our fleet, we rely on our Group Airlines from around Europe to fly customers to our worldwide destinations in a safe and enjoyable way. Our Engineering & Maintenance team manages the serviceability of our aircraft to support TUI Airline’s flying schedule, working to enhance our operation and customer experience, with a focus on digitalisation. You’ll work on some of the highest tech aircraft currently in operation and ensure the safe and reliable operation of our fleet.
This programme is an opportunity for you to develop your engineering skills through a combination of classroom and workshop learning, as well as hands-on experience with live aircraft. You’ll gain a Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship – specialising in the Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician pathway – alongside a Level 3 Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance, all whilst developing a rewarding career in our Engineering & Maintenance team. If you have studied a level 4 qualification, or above in Engineering, then unfortunately you will not be eligible for this position. The Resource Group (training provider) deliver the apprenticeship training and you will attend their training centre inLuton for the first year with on a block release at their headquarters in the Cotswolds. The apprenticeship standard and more details can be viewed here
A requirement of this role is that you provide evidence that your grades are equivalent to English GCSEs. If you studied overseas, you may be required to apply for your grades to be converted and you can do this by visiting: Home Page (enic.org.uk) and applying for a statement of comparability.
We reserve the right to withdraw this advert should we receive lots of applications.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Live maintenance on TUI Airline and third-party aircraft, including minor repairs or modifications, under the direct supervision of certified Licenced Aircraft Maintenance engineers (as you’ll be working airside, you’ll need to be able to produce a DBS certificate in order to obtain an airside pass including a 5 year background check)
- Spend time in various departments within TUI Airline to learn and understand how the supporting back-office departments work
- Learn about the importance of health, safety, and security in everything our Engineering teams do
- Develop your engineering skills and knowledge through a combination of on-the-job learning and assignments
- The knowledge and experience you’ll gain will be further enhanced through working at our different airport bases across the UK and Europe
- You’ll also work towards a Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship, specialising in the Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician pathway, as well as a Level 3 Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance qualification
- Brings innovative ideas and insights
- Engages and collaborates with others
- Analytical approach to solving problems and creating solutions
- Natural drive to achieve both individual and business results with a commercial focus
- Great at communicating with others
- Adapts and shows resilience if faced with adversity
- Hunger for learning, with a minimum of GCSE grade 4 or C (or equivalent) in English, Maths, a Science or Resistant Materials qualification and a commitment to gaining both your Level 3 Engineering Technician apprenticeship and your Level 3 Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance qualification
- Ability to demonstrate a good level of practical hand skills through hobbies and interests
- A passion for engineering, as well an interest in the aviation industry
- You will ideally will live within a 30 mile radius of Luton Airport
CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY – STANDARD REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL APPRENTICE ENGINEERS
- Ability to work in confined spaces – movement and agility to gain access to confined spaces such as aircraft fuel tanks and not suffering from claustrophobia
- Ability to work at height, including wearing harness and operating mobile working platforms
- Ability to wear safety masks and pass face fit process and other protective clothing
- Ability to pass an annual medical examination to allow continued work in the hangar environment in compliance with Health and Safety regulations
- Functional skills to interpret Aircraft Maintenance Manuals and carry out complex fault diagnosis on aircraft
- Functional skills to interpret and pass Civil Aviation Authority derived examinations in aeronautical Engineering subjects
ABOUT OUR OFFER
- Fantastic holiday benefits including discounts, special offers and the ability to purchase additional ‘TUI time off’ (not the case for engineers in the collective or the apprentices)
- Competitive salary with commission scheme that rewards you for exceeding targets & discretionary bonus
- Private medical Insurance, single cover with option to add dependants
- Health and Wellbeing support in five key areas – Financial, Health, Social, Community and Career
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange and discounts with retailers
- Discovery day – time to spend working at a local charity or community
- Investment in your development
- Pension scheme and life assurance
- On completion of the Apprenticeship programme a voucher (amount dependent on the apprenticeship level) and an extra day off
- Access to student discount via Totum Apprenticeships
- Network of other apprentices and colleagues
- Block release to attend training provider centre
At TUI, we know people are as diverse as the destinations we send our customers to. We love to see your uniqueness shine through and inspire the future of travel. If you would like to read more about what Diversity & Inclusion means to us simply visit Diversity • TUI Careers (tuigroup.com).
***As a Disability Confident Employer we guarantee interviews to disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the role and will make reasonable adjustments to assist in the interview process. In engineering traditionally, there is an under-representation of women and people from ethnic minorities. Applications are open to all sectors of the community, but we particularly welcome applicants who identify as women and are from ethnic minority groups. ***