Brexit and COVID-19 – Information to CandidatesLearn more
Senior API & Microservices Developer
London, United Kingdom
Luton, United Kingdom
Digital & Technology
We are seeking with immediate effect an experience API & Microservices Development Lead to join the Engagement domain, located at our London Bridge office.
We have embarked on an exciting, large scale digital transformation programme and as part of that are looking for a talented and dedicated person to join TUI Group IT. As part of our transformation, we are passionately committed to hiring expert professionals in our three main areas of focus; API Development, Big Data and Cloud Services.
We are headquartered in Germany, with an international office network in London, Luton, Hanover, Porto and Berlin to mention few.
TUI group sees the application of data and analytics as a core source of competitive advantage in the drive to deliver market leading personalised customer experiences which maximise the value captured from our extensive product range whilst operating at maximum efficiency. We have embarked on a journey of development towards a more digital, connected and integrated future. But we haven’t arrived there yet. Join us now and shape the future of travel.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our ways of working are a bit different just now with most of our colleagues working from home all the time. Most colleagues worked from home at least a couple of days a week before the current situation, as looking after our colleague’s welfare is important to us. However, it’s very likely this role will begin with you being based at home, there will be lots of opportunities to connect with your colleagues via technology, and when we can get together face-to-face, we will.
What you will be doing
As API & Microservices Development Lead you will be working within a cross-functional team of designers, developers and testers who are responsible for the TUI app. In detail your tasks include:
- Being responsible for the team who delivers microservices for the app, from concept / design /code/ build/ deploy / test, right through to release
- Guide the development and extend the reach of our highly-rated existing applications, while helping to define the roadmap for future integrations
- Collaborate with Architects, Tech Leads, QA, Product Owners and UI Design colleagues to deliver inspirational travel apps and continue to optimise their performance post release
- Guide the development and produce functional solutions with quality designs and code in accordance to architecture design standards, code standards and environment configuration management
- The main responsibilities of the role to ensure development team adherence to programme governance and standards alongside working on development, and to utilise your previous technical expertise to take ownership of the development process, programming and build, systems design / integration; ensuring project fulfilment and success.
- Work closely with the iOS and Android development teams to define integrations which enable us to deliver key new features
What we are looking for
- Extensive experience as an API integration specialist
- Experience in service design (SOA, Microservices, ESB’s)
- Over 5 years of hand on experience in backend Rest API and micro services development using node.js, type script (MUST) and Sprint Boot/Java. We expect you to do 50% time on coding and 50% time on ensuring best practices are nurtured in the team, encouraged, followed and governed.
- Experience leading a team of developers across different locations is preferred
- Very good knowledge in data modelling; conceptual, logical and physical schema separation
- Experience in using AWS cloud services including API Gateway, Lambdas, ECS, CloudFormation and Fargate
- Experience in API gateway, preferably AWS API gateway and APIGEE
- Experience in designing api specs using SWAGGER
- Solid understanding on coding best practices, design patterns of the backend server side api and micro services development and lifecycle
- Nice to have knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends and emerging technologies
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organization and external 3rd parties / suppliers
- Highly flexible, adaptable and resilient personality, with the ability to work in an international team environment
- Fluent English language skills.
TUI and you
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
- Generous holiday entitlement & holiday discounts
- Forward thinking ways of working
- TUI time off, purchase of additional holiday entitlement
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange and discounts with retailers
TUI Group’s vision is to make travel experiences special. To fulfil this vision, we never stop looking ahead, seeking new ways to delight our customers and grow our business. We recognise the power of digital and the massive contribution this brings to creating a truly unique and differentiated customer experience.
TUI Group is the leading tourism business with over 70,000 employees internationally, across more than 100 countries. The Group umbrella consists of strong tour operators, 1,600 travel agencies and leading online portals, five airlines with more than 150 aircraft, over 380 hotels, twelve cruise liners and countless incoming agencies in all major holiday destinations around the globe.
At TUI, we know people are as diverse as the destinations we send our customers to. Just as travel is about exploration, we are on a continuous journey to make our work culture more inclusive. Spending time with us, whether you are at work or on holiday, enables you to relax and be yourself in a safe environment. We love to see your uniqueness shine through and inspire the future of travel. If you would like to read more about what Diversity & Inclusion means to us simply visit Our DNA