Brexit and COVID-19 – Information to CandidatesLearn more
Senior Android Developer
London, United Kingdom
Luton, United Kingdom
Digital & Technology
At A Glance
As a Senior Android Developer you’ll be working within cross-functional team of designers, developers and testers. Delivering across the entire app life cycle, from concept /design/ build/ deploy /test, right through to release to app stores and support.
Our aim is to enable intuitive and seamless digital customer and colleague experiences through innovative technology solutions. Based in London, you will work in our Mobility Hub which encompasses Creative, Product, Commercial, Analytics, Architecture & Development and QA functions. The Mobility Hub has been set up with the remit to shape the group wide strategy and deliver world class digital products for personalised and context aware consumer service across all touch points.
In 12 months, we have moved from a standing start to having a multi award winning app that has already had more than 1 million downloads, the TUI Digital Assistant (TDA), rolled out to over 8 countries across 6 different languages and being used by more than 150,000 customers every month. This is just the beginning – we are about to embark on a multi-year plan to see the evolution of our TDA from where it is today to being a feature-rich app the likes of which our industry has never seen, and that customers will never have experienced – this is where we need your help.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our ways of working are a bit different just now with most of our colleagues working from home all the time. Most colleagues worked from home at least a couple of days a week before the current situation, as looking after our colleague’s welfare is important to us. However, it’s very likely this role will begin with you being based at home, there will be lots of opportunities to connect with your colleagues via technology, and when we can get together face-to-face, we will.
What You Will Be Doing
As a Senior Android Developer you will develop and extend the reach of our highly-rated existing applications, while helping to define the roadmap for future TUI apps. This will include collaborating with product owners and design colleagues to deliver inspirational travel apps, and continue to optimise their performance post release.
A key part of this role will be to develop and produce functional solutions with quality designs and code in accordance to architecture design standards, code standards and environment configuration management. You will also build prototypes at tech scoping stage of projects and create and maintain a robust technical framework to support the apps.
Within this role you will also create compelling device specific user interfaces and experiences across multiple brands with minimal duplication of effort. You will also seek continual improvements in delivery with the team to drive efficiency and productivity.
What We Are Looking For
- Experience of Android development (Kotlin, Coroutines, Android SDK, RxJava)
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends and emerging technologies
- Understanding of Android UX/UI guidelines/best practices and the ability to engage with the creative team to deliver pragmatic solutions balancing design, quality and velocity
- Flair for clean code, reusability, testability and readability (SOLID, TDD)
Experience with mobile development issues related to performance optimisation, caching, security and native components / SDK’s
- Solid understanding of OOP principals and design
- Experience with outside data sources and API’s (JSON, SOAP, Rest, XML)
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organisation and external 3rd parties / suppliers.
- A highly flexible, adaptable and resilient personality, with the ability to work in an international team environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related disciplines
TUI and you
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
- Generous holiday entitlement & holiday discounts
- Forward thinking ways of working
- TUI time off, purchase of additional holiday entitlement
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange and discounts with retailers
TUI Group’s vision is to make travel experiences special. To fulfil this vision, we never stop looking ahead, seeking new ways to delight our customers and grow our business. We recognise the power of digital and the massive contribution this brings to creating a truly unique and differentiated customer experience.
TUI Group is the leading tourism business with over 70,000 employees internationally, across more than 100 countries. The Group umbrella consists of strong tour operators, 1,600 travel agencies and leading online portals, five airlines with more than 150 aircraft, over 380 hotels, twelve cruise liners and countless incoming agencies in all major holiday destinations around the globe.
At TUI, we know people are as diverse as the destinations we send our customers to. Just as travel is about exploration, we are on a continuous journey to make our work culture more inclusive. Spending time with us, whether you are at work or on holiday, enables you to relax and be yourself in a safe environment. We love to see your uniqueness shine through and inspire the future of travel. If you would like to read more about what Diversity & Inclusion means to us simply visit Our DNA