Brexit and COVID-19 – Information to CandidatesLearn more
Senior Cloud Engineer
Luton, United Kingdom
Digital & Technology
Dependent on Local Contract
TUI Group is the world’s number one integrated tourism business. Enablers is a global team within TUI technology responsible for the effective delivery of IT capabilities that support our product teams building a world-class global digital travel experience using APIs, cloud & on-premises platforms and DevOps methodologies. We are a multi-disciplinary team of experts across Architecture, Engineering, DevOps and Agile Delivery providing services across the UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands.
At TUI we’re ambitious to become the leader in technology within the travel industry and to achieve this we are looking to build a capable, creative team who want to be a part of accomplishing that goal.
We never stop looking ahead, seeking new ways to delight our customers and grow our business. We recognise the power of digital and the massive contribution this brings to creating a truly unique and differentiated customer experience.
We are looking for a talented and technical enthusiast to join the newly formed Enablers technology organisation which provides solutions, consultancy, education and guidance from getting started to running in the cloud (through the creation of cloud native, cost effective, reliable and secure solutions), as well as operational excellence on transient on-premises solutions being transitioned to cloud.
Are you a cloud lover and an advocate of state-of-the-art cloud engineering practices? You love to work in an agile environment and keeping up with the ever-evolving technical landscape? You think outside the box and don’t hesitate to keep on learning? Great! We are looking for you!
How you will make an impact as a Cloud Engineer (Senior)
There are many ways for you to get involved:
As a Senior Cloud Engineer, you will be part of a cross-functional team that enables cloud engineering skills and capabilities across TUI. You will provide technical leadership within your team, shape engineering processes and practices, coach and develop other team members, promote quality-first ethos, champion continuous improvement and technical excellence. You will lead complex technical solution delivery and will work within a Product team to ensure the correct solution is engineered, addressing the technical needs and requirements of the business. You will achieve this by delivering changes across the IT stack in collaboration with Agile delivery teams, using cloud technologies and common automation, ensuring successful deliverables within agreed time and quality targets. You will diligently care about the quality of your work, including proper documentation and security aspects.
With your team you will design and implement secure, scalable, cloud-native solutions and be responsible for driving architecture, design, development, security and operations. You will use your deep technical skills to work with your colleagues to improve expertise in cloud solution architectures, infrastructure-as-code approaches, tooling, and the continuous improvement of CI/CD and automation. To achieve this, you will be required to understand the coding standards defined within TUI, AWS software technologies and UI standards to create successful and quality deliverables. You will need to ensure that software development and delivery is consistent, meeting the specified requirements within the agreed timescales. You will take proactive corrective action where required, for example quality improvement of the software code and improving automation to enhance software delivery.
You have a proven track record in delivering cloud enablement services to customer teams, supporting them in their adoption of the AWS (or other) cloud platform, with a strong focus on platform provisioning and configuration, onboarding and consultation, well-architected, operational health, platform security, FinOps services and education & training.
You are able to verbalise your thoughts and ideas and take the initiative to translate ideas into outcomes. Together with the different teams in the IT Domains, relevant Practice teams as well as other Enabler teams you will research, evaluate and test new approaches, processes and tools and help teams to use them effectively. You are demonstrating active contribution to Communities of Practice, including collaboration in shared initiatives. You need little to no supervision to perform your work and regularly coach, guide and further develop more junior colleagues.
You love to work in an international, multi-cultural team. You challenge constructively and have high expectations of yourself and others. You always drive for technical excellence, ownership and self-organisation at team and personal level. You love to learn and acquire new skills and keep up to date with latest developments in your focus areas.
Security is part of everyone’s job. At TUI, we practise secure behaviours first in everything we do.
What you will bring to TUI as a Cloud Engineer (Senior)
- There is more than one way to the perfect fit – here are some of the ideal things:
- Proven deep knowledge of working with highly available, distributed systems and services in a cloud environment
- Advanced skill set for understanding and solving complex problems spanning one or more teams/areas with appropriate quality and quantity
- Ability to full own and lead complex problems and/or multi-faceted initiatives and outcomes panning across the domain.
- Extensive hands-on experience with AWS and in designing and implementing scaled cloud systems with a focus on solution architecture, using a range of tools and services, infrastructure-as-code, DevSecOps and security engineering practices
- Expected to define and maintain standards, best practices for managing AWS resources and ensuring teams follow appropriate processes
- Scripting language skills at a proficient level, e.g. Python, Shell Script, AWS CLI
- Good experience with CI/CD, preferably Gitlab CI and IaC like Terraform or CloudFormation
- Excellent knowledge of networking technologies, e.g. IP, DNS, firewalling, load-balancing and VPNs
- Professional level AWS certification
- Up-to-date knowledge of cybersecurity threats, current best practices, treat modelling and risk mitigation techniques.
- Customer centric, passionate about delivering great digital products and services
- Demonstrating true engineering craftsmanship mindset
- Perform a leading role in a community of practice
- Be an advocate of the DevOps culture and principles.
- Passionate about continuous improvement, collaboration and great teams
- Compelling coaching and training skills for imparting professional software engineering skills
- Extensive problem-solving skills coupled with excellent communication skills
- Understanding of social and ethical implications of software engineering (e.g. like described in the ACM Code of Ethics)
- Open minded, inquisitive, life-long learner
- Comfortable with ambiguity, highly autonomous
TUI and you
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
- Generous holiday entitlement & holiday discounts
- Forward thinking ways of working
- TUI time off, purchase of additional holiday entitlement
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange and discounts with retailers
At TUI, we know people are as diverse as the destinations we send our customers to. We love to see your uniqueness shine through and inspire the future of travel. If you would like to read more about what Diversity & Inclusion means to us simply visit our Smile page Click here