Covid-19 – Information for CandidatesLearn more
Senior Java Developer | Flexible Location | TUI
Luton, United Kingdom
Digital & Technology
TUI Group is the world’s number one integrated tourism business. This a great opportunity to join a team of innovative and passionate people, who are driving the development, operation, and ongoing evolution of global cloud-based e-commerce solutions and services powering one of Europe’s largest travel and experience websites with over 700m visits and over €6.5bn revenue per year. We now have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Java Developer to join the division on an initial 12-month FTC.
Our technology teams are focused on delivering high-quality applications and enhancements that meet the current (and pave the way for the future) requirements of our fast-paced business. With a passion for our customers and a strong grounding in multiple technology disciplines, our team members are an integral part of the business and work closely with commercial colleagues to bring innovative solutions to the challenging world of travel.
Using your skills, you will support and enable the delivery of high-quality business-led technology projects and proactively support and maintain TUI websites and related systems to business requirements. You will be commercially focussed and have significant knowledge of, and experience in, how technology can support and enable business growth, and will also ensure that projects are aligned with the technology roadmap for TUI Group.
Using best practices to develop the system architecture design, development, and implementation of all new / enhancements to TUI applications in order to deliver them in an efficient, pragmatic, timely, and cost-effective way.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our ways of working are a bit different just now with most of our colleagues working from home all the time. Most colleagues worked from home a couple of days a week before the current situation, as looking after our colleague’s welfare is important to us. We’re beginning to open our offices in limited ways in line with government guidelines. However, this role will likely begin with you being based at home, there will be lots of opportunities to connect with your colleagues via technology, and when we can get together face-to-face, we will.
How you will make an impact as a Senior Java Developer
There are many ways for you to get involved:
- Maintain and enhance functionalities across our web portfolio, with a specific focus on the TUI Ski website
- Produce quality designs and code for complex systems and subsystems for use across the web application platforms.
- Take a proactive role in identifying and resolving technical and functional errors across all sites
- Where required to work with the business to capture and analyse requirements, providing technical input in a clear well-communicated manner. Create suitable design documentation and/or data models for others (including 3rd party offshore suppliers) to work from.
- Follow department standards on code and environment configuration management, project lifecycle, and release procedures
- To provide written/verbal project progress reports or updates as requested by the line manager
- Work with third-parties involved with application development
- Maintain a broad awareness of developments in eCommerce, both within and outside the travel industry. Make recommendations for development that will enhance the customer experience and drive profitable growth and improve conversion.
- Actively promote the use of emerging technologies and techniques to provide standout over and above our competitors.
- Develop an excellent understanding of the systems involved, how these systems support the business, how these systems interact with other corporate (and 3rd party) applications and their place in the overall IT architecture.
- Analyse systems proactively to identify problems and trends and propose technical solutions and recommend changes to optimise system performance and usability.
- Create documentation to support future maintenance of the system and to support operational requirements.
- Review the design and code produced by colleagues (some of whom will be based overseas) to ensure it is of good quality, runs efficiently, and adheres to TUI coding standards.
Responsible for the quality of delivery through the management of the QA team and the use of JUnit and Continuous Integration.
What you will bring as a Senior Java Developer
There is more than one way to the perfect fit – here are some of the ideal things:
- High level of programming skill with Java, SQL and J2EE (for web not application) skill set.
- Working knowledge of application servers,Tomcat/JBoss preferred.
- Working Knowledge of Hibernate, Spring.
- ANT and source control, e.g. SVN, CVS,GIT.
- Client server HTTP/XML Request/Response
- Experience with WebServices
- Experience in JUNIT testing
- Proven experience of estimating, planning, development methods & lifecycles and specifically Agile methodologies.
- Awareness of targets and constraints and ability to work to these.
- Understanding of commercial needs and how they are delivered by various applications.
- Willing to mentor junior members of a team.
- Willing to cross-train in other areas of TUI SKI related applications.
- Experience in any of the following would be desirable : MySQL / Postgres , Linux , Apache HTTPD , Wicket , Hybris , Solr and Velocity.
TUI and you
- Fantastic holiday benefits including discounts, special offers and the ability to purchase additional ‘TUI time off’
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange
- Health and Wellbeing support in five key areas – Financial, Health, Social, Community and Career
- Private Medical Insurance, single cover with option to add dependants
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
TUI is the UK’s largest tour operator, our key brands include TUI, First Choice, Marella Cruises and Crystal Ski Holidays. Our airline is the country’s third largest with 62 aircraft operating to over 88 destinations in 30 countries. We have a team of more than 10,000 employees serving over 6 million customers each year. We’re on a journey towards a more digital, connected and integrated future. But we haven’t arrived there yet. We believe that differences drive innovation and we’re encouraging an environment where diverse talent thrives and it’s our unique colleagues that will shape the future of travel.
If you want to know more about why TUI Group is the world’s leading tourism group, and our continuing work in the diversity & inclusion space, simply visit careers.tuigroup.com.