Data Scientist | Luton | TUI
Luton, United Kingdom
TUI Group sees the application of data and analytics as a core source of competitive advantage in the drive to deliver market leading personalised customer experiences which maximise the value captured from our extensive product range whilst operating at maximum efficiency. This is a great time to join the team which is extending the application of data and analytics across the TUI business, joining up the data and providing data science and analytics expertise across multiple business functions.
The Data Scientist role will be part of our analytics and data science team supporting the Senior Data Scientist and working on key strategic projects touching many parts of the business. The role will involve designing and developing analytical solutions using a variety of technologies, and techniques, and working alongside IT, business and other data science colleagues. The role may operate across different source markets and although UK based, some travel will be required.
TUI and in particular the UK has always been a data driven business. The UK team has for example developed an in-house yield solution automating the management of 18 million prices on an hourly basis and now deployed across 4 markets in the group. TUI are significantly investing in the area of data science both from a technology and people perspective and have a number of ambitious projects in progress across commercial, digital, airline and customer.
This person will have a passion for data, relentless curiosity about the data and the business processes behind it, real analytic rigour and very strong technical data science skills.
How you will make an impact as a Data Scientist
There are many ways for you to get involved:
As a Data Scientist you will work as part of an agile team to deliver innovative, algorithmic solutions to complex problems ensuring that solutions are rigorously tested and deliver business value. We expect solutions to make use of sophisticated algorithms whilst enabling high levels of decision-making transparency and user control. You will work at all stages of the development lifecycle from idea generation to testing and implementation support.
You will work as part of a team to develop solutions that form part of major IT projects, lead the development on smaller projects and also undertake research work to support the future development of new solutions.
This role may work on projects in many areas, but initially the successful applicant is likely to work in one of two areas:
- Delivery of capabilities to support the re-platforming of our automated yield solution from a mainly batch and rules based solution to a CLOUD based event driven architecture incorporating more advanced optimisation and machine learning capabilities
- Delivery of analytics solutions to support our purchasing teams in negotiation and/or algorithms to enable the optimal sale of hotel inventory across multiple source markets.
- Supporting the design and implementation of the yield system in new group markets
- All of the above are tremendously exciting projects, using leading edge technology and are key to TUI’s growth plans with high visibility at the executive level.
There has never been a more exciting time to join the team.
What you will bring to TUI as a Data Scientist:
There is more than one way to the perfect fit – here are some of the ideal things
- Experience tackling problems using data science techniques such as statistics, machine learning, optimisation
- Familiarity and experience with a wide range of technologies e.g. Spark, Python, R, Scala, SQL
- Experience using AWS or other cloud technology is preferred
- Experience of working as part of a team delivering productionised data solutions is preferred
- Organised, structured and logical thinker – with a methodical, clear approach to solving business problems, using data, and analytics / data science techniques to deliver business benefit and outcome oriented solutions;
- Data knowledgeable and inquisitive – confident in using specific data and sources in support of solution delivery;
- Customer and internal client centric – working in partnership with both internal “customers”, and external customers, balancing this with commercial and business drivers and goals;
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, in English. Comfortable communicating high level concepts to colleagues, team members, and stakeholders, whilst also being able to delve in to the detail of complex changes when required;
- Self-motivated consultant who takes initiative and works collaboratively;
- Ability to manage ambiguity and quickly adapt to changes in priority;
- Degree qualification (minimum 2:1) in a mathematics or statistics or data science related degree; associated post graduate or professional qualification is highly valued.
TUI and you
- Fantastic holiday benefits including discounts, special offers and the ability to purchase additional ‘TUI time off’
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange
- Health and Wellbeing support in five key areas – Financial, Health, Social, Community and Career
- Private Medical Insurance, single cover with option to add dependants
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
TUI is the UK’s largest tour operator, our key brands include TUI, First Choice, Marella Cruises and Crystal Ski Holidays. Our airline is the country’s third largest with 62 aircraft operating to over 88 destinations in 30 countries. We have a team of more than 10,000 employees serving over 5.5 million customers each year. We’re on a journey towards a more digital, connected and integrated future. But we haven’t arrived there yet. We believe that differences drive innovation and we’re encouraging an environment where diverse talent thrives and it’s our unique colleagues that will shape the future of travel.
If you want to know more about why TUI Group is the world’s leading tourism group, and our continuing work in the diversity & inclusion space, simply visit careers.tuigroup.com
Posting Date – 9th January 2020
Closing Date – 7th February 2020
Salary Range – Competitive
Full Time – Permanent
Do you have any questions regarding this job offer? Get in touch!