Brexit and COVID-19 – Information to CandidatesLearn more
Data Engineer - Commercial Domain
Luton, United Kingdom
Digital & Technology
Dependant on Local Contract
TUI Group is the world’s number one integrated tourism business. The Commercial Domain is a global team within TUI technology responsible for using data and science to deliver great customer experiences and maximise commercial performance. We are a multi-disciplinary team of experts across Architecture, Engineering, DevOps and Agile Delivery providing services across the UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Spain, Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands.
At TUI we’re ambitious to become the leader in technology within the travel industry and to achieve this we are looking to build a capable, creative team who want to be a part of accomplishing that goal.
The Data Engineer is a practitioner and an advocate of state-of-the-art data engineering practices. Working in an agile environment and keeping up with the ever-evolving technical landscape the Data Engineer is a lifelong learner and likes to think out of the box.
How you will make an impact as a Data Engineer
There are many ways for you to get involved:
As a Data Engineer, you will be part of a cross-functional team or a practice team that enables data engineering skills and capabilities across a whole domain. Being an enthusiast in data engineering, with a strong DevSecOps mindset, you will work with your team to deliver the best solutions to our customer’s needs and take over full responsibility for its data flows, from design to operation. You care diligently about the quality of your work, including proper documentation and security aspects.
You will use your deep technical skills to work closely with your colleagues to ensure an optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. You will work on data collection, data pipelines, data delivery to other systems and building a strong core data warehouse. Furthermore, you are supporting your fellow Data Analysts and Data Scientists on data engineering tasks and work as a team to deliver data driven solutions.
You will need to verbalise your thoughts and ideas and take the initiative to translate ideas into outcomes. Together with the domain or common architects, as well as the group enabler teams, you also will research, evaluate and test new approaches, processes and tools and help teams to use them effectively. You will actively contribute to communities of practice, including collaboration in shared initiatives.
You will work as part of an international, multi-cultural team. You challenge constructively and have high expectations of yourself and others. You always drive for technical excellence, ownership and self-organisation at team and personal level. You love to learn and acquire new skills and keep up to date with latest developments in your focus areas.
What you will bring to TUI as a Data Engineer
There is more than one way to the perfect fit – here are some of the ideal things:
- Ability to design, implement and use different database structures
- Solid understanding of data warehousing principles, concepts and best practices (e.g. ODS, data marts, data lakes, data vault, 3NF)
- Advanced SQL, data transformation and data profiling skills
- Extensive experience of building production ETL/ELT pipelines at scale
- Hands on experience with cloud database and storage systems (e.g. S3, Snowflake, S3, Athena, Glue)
- Knowledge of how AWS, Lambda, Kubernetes, Docker, Airflow and DBT work together and what they deliver
- Experience of data types including JSON and XML is a plus
- Customer centric, passionate about delivering great digital products and services
- Demonstrating true engineering craftsmanship mindset
- Passionate about continuous improvement and working collaboratively
- Strong problem-solving skills coupled with the ability to convey designs and ideas to a wider audience
- Comfortable with ambiguity, highly autonomous
TUI and you
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
- Generous holiday entitlement & holiday discounts
- Forward thinking ways of working
- TUI time off, purchase of additional holiday entitlement
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange and discounts with retailers
TUI Group’s vision is to make travel experiences special. To fulfil this vision, we never stop looking ahead, seeking new ways to delight our customers and grow our business. We recognise the power of digital and the massive contribution this brings to creating a truly unique and differentiated customer experience.
TUI Group offers integrated services from a single source for its 28 million customers, and the entire tourism value chain is represented under one roof. This includes over 400 hotels and resorts with premium brands such as RIU, TUI Blue and Robinson and 15 cruise ships. The Group also includes Europe’s leading tour operator brands and online marketing platforms, five airlines with more than 100 modern medium and long-haul aircraft and over 1000 travel agencies.
At TUI, we know people are as diverse as the destinations we send our customers to. Just as travel is about exploration, we are on a continuous journey to make our work culture more inclusive. Spending time with us, whether you are at work or on holiday, enables you to relax and be yourself in a safe environment. We love to see your uniqueness shine through and inspire the future of travel. If you would like to read more about what Diversity & Inclusion means to us simply visit Our DNA